[std.database]

simendsjo simendsjo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 11:07:40 PDT 2011

On 17.10.2011 19:46, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am 17.10.2011, 18:38 Uhr, schrieb Steve Teale
> <steve.teale at britseyeview.com>:
>
>>> PostgreSQL's protocol is stable since 2003, but MySQL's is not very
>>> friendly indeed. Phobos might follow opportunistic path and support
>>> direct access with recent MySQL versions and C wrapper for older ones.
>>
>> But it looks like the C wrapper approach for MySQL won't fly for Phobos
>> because of the GPL taint. MySQL support might have to be consigned to the
>> Deimos 'derived works' directory. Either that or Phobos only supports
>> versions > 5.xx.
>>
>> Steve
>
> Do people not upgrade their database to MySQL 5? I never had to deal
> with that and especially large complicated databases. If it is easy to
> upgrade to MySQL 5 and it is faster and more secure there are probably
> few *actively developed* projects accessing MySQL 4 DBs. (MySQL 5 is
> pretty much exactly 6 years old now.)

You'll always find people not upgrading technology for various reasons.
We continue to use MySQL 4 at work for an internal legacy application
because it just works and we _know_ upgrading will be a lot of work.
And see how IE6 is still in use.

I'm not advocating that D should strive to support legacy technologies
though. I don't think Win98 or earlier are supported either.