Just starting out

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 04:16:03 PDT 2011

On 14.10.2011 4:49, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
<snip>

> That would be neat.
>
> One thing I'd been thinking of adding to mine was an alternate function that
> just waited for a single keystroke (rather than a line of text + Enter). I
> think I once had it working on Tango, IIRC, but then I switched to D2/Phobos
> and couldn't figure out how to use Phobos to wait for a single keystroke w/o
> then waiting for Enter.

I used the following trick on Linux, and I think it should work on any
posix: call select on stdin i.e. fd_set with one descriptor for reading
- 0 and timeout of 0. This way you'd get something close to a test for
keypress.

However that will check if there is a data in stream, so it's quite
possible to hit any number of "press any key" in advance, so some
flushing of input in the "wait till keypress" function is needed.

--
Dmitry Olshansky