new DIP14: Package import path association

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Oct 19 00:57:06 PDT 2011

On 2011-10-18 23:49, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 18, 2011 00:38 Martin Nowak wrote:
>> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP14
>
> I really think that you lose something when you add file paths to imports
> rather than letting the module system deal with it as it does now. The result
> is messier, and I really don't think that it adds anything for the normal
> case. I don't think that anything should be added to the language to support a
> package manager without a _really_ good reason. It should be perfectly
> possible to do package management without changing the language.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

One thing that would be nice is to be able, in the source code, somehow
add additional imports paths.

But on the other hand, if this would be possible you would need to add
this to every source file that uses modules from those imports paths. Or
you would need a source file that basically just list new imports paths
which will be globally available. In the second case, I think a built
tool would be better and specify the import paths/packages in the build
script.

--
/Jacob Carlborg