__restrict

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 04:58:15 PDT 2011

I agree, that is certainly more important :)

I'm mainly just curious to know about how the main contributors feel about
these things, and whether these things will be implemented/planned, or if
they violate some fundamental language principles...
Basically, I really want to start some major work in D, but before investing
into the language, I want to know that important features are recognised and
have a long term plan...

I'm curious to know what you mean by "maybe also because in D where possible
we prefer things that the compiler is able to verify/enforce". I'm not sure
how that really applies to __restrict. It's effectively an optimisation hint
to the compiler, giving it explicit instructions... what would there be to
verify or enforce in this case? Is it that it would be preferred if
__restrict-ability could be implied by carefully crafted language rules? I
just don't think that's possible.. But it's still an important keyword.

How difficult is it to contribute to D in these areas? Is that something
that is encouraged, or is D still too embryonic to have random people coming
along and adding things here and there?