How do you use templates in D?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Wed Oct 19 11:51:13 PDT 2011

Am 19.10.2011, 05:14 Uhr, schrieb Martin Nowak <dawg at dawgfoto.de>:

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:17:56 +0200, bearophile
> <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
>
>> Andrew Pennebaker:
>>
>>> The D version will be called
>>> dashcheck<https://github.com/mcandre/dashcheck>
>>
>> QuickCheck is one of the good things of Haskell.
>>
>> I have raised the topic few times:
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/QuickCheck-like_in_Phobos_131256.html
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/Re_Unit_Testing_for_D_._72154.html
>>
>> I remember someone has already written one or two D versions of
>> QuickCheck-like (probably D1), but it didn't get a lot of interest in
>> the D newsgroups. One of them:
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=73949
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> I wrote a pretty complete port of Haskell's Quickcheck some month ago.
> https://github.com/dawgfoto/qcheck
> The main function quickcheck takes the testee as first template parameter
> and a bunch of policies. It will use getArbitraryTuple to construct the
> parameters
> of the testee. It should be able to construct a random instance of any
> type out of the box,
> but you can also pass generators with the policies and they will be used
> instead.
> There is also a Policy RandomizeMembers which will set aggregate members
> to random values
> after construction.
> The testee might return a boolean result or an enum QCheckResult which
> has a third entry
> QCheckResult.Reject.
>
> martin

There is a lot of nice code floating around. I wish there was a place
where Andrew and others would have easily found your work under tags like
"QuickCheck", "Haskel" and "unit test". Some website with a package
manager that can also check if my checked out version of the code is still
up-to-date or if there are updates and new features. It doesn't matter if
the 'package' is marked as experimental.
Sometimes you just get an idea for a library and want to see if someone is
already working on it. Or you just browse the available packages for D to
get some inspiration on topics like unit testing, serialization or web
frameworks.