sqrt(2) must go

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Oct 19 15:35:48 PDT 2011

Alvaro:

> I call that uncluttered programming. No excessive explicitness should be
> necessary when what you mean is obvious (under some simple conventions).
> Leads to clearer code.

Explicitness usually means adding more annotations in the code, and this usually increases the visual noise in inside the code. This noise masks the code and often leads to mistakes. On the other hand too many implicit conversions are a well known source of bugs and troubles (both D and C# disallow some of them available in C. OCaML language disallow most of them). So the language designers must find some middle balancing point, that is somehow an optimum.

Bye,
bearophile