sqrt(2) must go

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Thu Oct 20 16:32:04 PDT 2011

Am 20.10.2011, 22:09 Uhr, schrieb Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com>:

> I think you just brushed over my entire concern with respect to
> libraries,
> and very likely the standard library its self.
> I've also made what I consider to be reasonable counter arguments to
> those
> points in earlier posts, so I won't repeat myself.
>
> I think it's fairly safe to say though, with respect to Don's question,
> using a tie-breaker is extremely controversial. I can't see any way that
> could be unanimously considered a good idea.
> I stand by the call to ban implicit conversion between float/int. Some
> might consider that a minor annoyance, but it also has so many potential
> advantages and time savers down the line too.

I start to understand the problems with implicit conversions and I think
now that the size of the integer has no relation at all to size of the
float in a conversion. For a large integer you may loose precision
immediately when it is stored to a float instead of a double, but when you
run sqrt() on it you introduce some more error anyway.
So I'd vote for no implicit conversion unless the situation is unambiguous
and the precision is sufficient, like in an assignment or calling a method
with no overload. At least code would not break silently if overloads for
sqrt would be provided later.