Development environment (WAS: generative programming and debugging)

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Fri Oct 21 01:07:15 PDT 2011

Am 21.10.2011, 09:22 Uhr, schrieb Gor Gyolchanyan
<gor.f.gyolchanyan at gmail.com>:

> I wouldn't call it D. It looks like C, which smells like D. But the
> point is good. It's possible to make a C facade to use a C back-end.
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

>>> I don't see that happening: A D front end and a C++ backend. Perhaps
>>> GCC
>>> becomes the stadard D compiler and DMD is translated to D using that ;)
>>
>> It is possible, have a look at DDMD:
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddmd
>>
>> --
>> /Jacob Carlborg

I said "D frontend" and "C++ backend", not "D backend". And "one of these
[3] compilers" clearly referred to the C++ ones DMD, LDC and GDC. But the
point is, that a frontend exists, that compiles as D code and can be the
base for a library. Either for continued development on DDMD or an IDE or
other tools that need to understand D code, like a online source code
browser.