The CAPI Manifesto

Johannes Pfau spam at example.com
Sat Oct 22 08:43:20 PDT 2011

Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>I have a question about licensing. If you translate a C LGPL'ed header
>file to D, and you keep the same license, are you still allowed to use
>whichever license in your user code that uses the new D files? Because
>I don't know whether using LGPL'ed .d files falls under "using the
>library" or "extending the library".
>
>For example, CairoD has translated Cairo LGPL/MPL'ed header files in
>equivalent Boost-licensed .d files. I know I'm asking for free lawyer
>advice here, but do you think this is going to be a problem?

I'm interested in this as well. This is especially evil as we currently
have to link statically to D code. A D file consisting of only C
imports probably doesn't count as code (and there's actually no need
to compile it), but if you have macros which were translated into
functions or templates, wouldn't statically linking against this LGPL'd
'header' code require everything to be LGPL/GPL licensed?

--
Johannes Pfau