D compiler front end in Phobos (was: syntax definition language)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Oct 23 13:03:15 PDT 2011

On Sunday, October 23, 2011 23:56:34 Gor Gyolchanyan wrote:
> Yes. a general-purpose parsing tool would be great.
> I don't think, that porting DMD's front-end is a good idea, because
> it's far from being generic or modular.
> We're gonna have to start from scratch.

It's generic enough to lex/parse D, which is it's whole purpose. I don't think
that much of _anyone_ is suggesting that dmd's frontend's lexer and parser be
ported to D _instead of_ having a more generic solution. It's a solution which
has the advantage of creating a lexer and parser which are close to dmd's
frontend so that it's easy to port changes and fixes from one to the other. A
more generic solution needs to be created regardless.

- Jonathan M Davis