Free?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 07:37:07 PDT 2011

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:33:52 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 10/23/2011 4:11 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> It never ceases to amaze me that "being business friendly" has become a
>> phrase for "allows business to steal FOSS work for profit" and conned
>> the FOSS community into thinking this is a good thing!

And what does GPL do, allow you to "steal FOSS work for non-profit"?  I
mean come on!  It's not stealing if I give it away, regardless of your
opinion of the recipient!  Unlike users of GPL or proprietary licenses, we
do not discriminate against people we want to help :)

> The Boost license for Phobos allows such use, and in no way are we
> Phobos contributors being conned. We're well aware of it and in fact
> that's one big reason why we chose Boost over GPL.
>
> People are free to take the Phobos source and do whatever they please
> with it, with our blessing. Hey, if Vanilla Ice "samples" it for his
> next rap album, we won't sue. We promise!
>
> Of course, we'd like it if they submitted back fixes and improvements,
> but that's up to them. (Vanilla Ice, you can keep your rap version.
> Thanks but no thanks!)

Wow, how 1990s of you to bring that up :)

-Steve