Free?

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Mon Oct 24 07:39:54 PDT 2011

Chante Wrote:

> While I haven't thought it through (and maybe don't have the knowledge to
> do so), elimination of software patents was something I had in mind as a
> potential cure for the current state of affairs (not a cure for viral
> source code though). Of course, noting that first-to-file is now the
> thing, it appears (to me) that Big Software Corp and Big Government are
> on one side, humanity on the other.

Patents are seen to exist for humanity. Elimination of patents is equivalent to elimination of intellectual property. You're not going to succeed on that. But GPL3 at least protects you from patent claims from the author, so you'd better use it. You're afraid of others, but GPL can also protect *your* code.