Why the hell doesn't foreach decode strings

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 13:52:44 PDT 2011

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 16:18:57 -0400, Dmitry Olshansky
<dmitry.olsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24.10.2011 23:41, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:58:15 -0400, Simen Kjaeraas
>> <simen.kjaras at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Assuming both string are valid UTF-8, you can. Continuation bytes can
>>> never
>>> be confused with the first byte of a code point, and the first byte
>>> always
>>> identifies how many continuation bytes there should be.
>>>

>> As others have pointed out in the past to me (and I thought as you did
>> once), the same characters can be encoded in *different ways*. They must
>> be normalized to accurately compare.
>>

> Assuming language support stays on stage of "codepoint is a character"
> it's totaly expected to ignore modifiers and compare identically
> normalized UTF without decoding. Yes, it risks to hit certain issues.

Again, the "risk" is that it fails to achieve the goal you ask of it!

D-language: Here, use this search algorithm, it works most of the time,
but may not work correctly in some cases.  If you run into one of those
cases, you'll have to run a specialized search algorithm for strings.
User: How do I know I hit one of those cases?
D-language: You'll have to run the specialized version to find out.
User: Why wouldn't I just run the specialized version first?
D-language: Well, because it's slower!
User: But don't I have to use both algorithms to make sure I find the data?
D-language: Only if you "care" about accuracy!

Call me ludicrous, but is this really what we want to push on someone as a
"unicode-aware" language?

>> Plus, a combining character (such as an umlaut or accent) is part of a
>> character, but may be a separate code point. If that's on the last
>> character in the word such as fiancé, then searching for fiance will
>> result in a match without proper decoding!
>
> Now if you are going to do real characters... If source/needle are
> normalized you still can avoid lots of work by searching without
> decoding. All you need to decode is one codepoint on each successful
> match to see if there is a modifier at end of matched portion.
> But it depends on how you want to match if it's case-insensitive search
> it will be a lot more complicated, but anyway it boils down to this:
> 1) do inexact search, get likely match ( false positives are OK,
> negatives not) no decoding here
> 2) once found check it (or parts of it) with proper decoding
>
> There are cultural subtleties, that complicate these steps if you take
> them into account, but it's doable.

I agree with you that simple searches using only byte (or dchar)
comparison does not work, and can be optimized based on several factors.
The easiest thing is to find a code unit sequence that only has one valid
form, then search for that without decoding.  Then when found, decode the
characters around it.  Or if that isn't possible, create all the
un-normalized forms for one grapheme (based on how likely it is to occur),
and search for one of those in the undecoded stream.

This can all be built into a specialized string type.  There's actually
some really interesting problems to solve in this space I think.  I've
created a basic string type that has lamented in my unfinished pile of
stuff to do.  I think it can be done in a way that is close to as
efficient as arrays for the most common operations (slicing, indexing,
etc.), but is *correct* before it is efficient.  You should always be able
to drop into "array mode" and deal with the code-units.

> Or if fiancé uses a
>> precomposed é, it won't match. So two valid representations of the word
>> either match or they don't. It's just a complete mess without proper
>> unicode decoding.
>
> It's a complete mess even with proper decoding ;)

Yes, all the more reason to solve the problem correctly so the hapless
unicode novice user doesn't have to!

-Steve