Early std.crypto

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 25 10:11:26 PDT 2011

On 10/24/2011 5:10 PM, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:
> https://github.com/pszturmaj/phobos/tree/master/std/crypto
>
> This is some early work on std.crypto proposal. Currently only MD5, HMAC and all SHA family functions (excluding SHA0
> which is very old, broken and no longer in use). I plan to add other crypto primitives later.
>
> I know about one SHA1 pull request optimized for SSSE3. I think native code must be there to support other non x86 CPUs
> and SIMD optimization may be added at any time later.
>
> Any opinions are welcome. Especially if such design is good or bad, and what needs to be changed.
>
> Thanks :)

A key element to a lot of crypto code is speed.  I really don't think we want to re-invent all the optimizations on all
the platforms.  To that end, I really suggest that we stick to wrapping existing implementations, like openssl.  While I
hate the openssl apis, I do respect the continual effort that various companies invest in optimizing the code.

My 2 cents,
Brad