Free?

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Tue Oct 25 19:16:49 PDT 2011

On 10/25/2011 04:48 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> It was indeed truthful. And as far as reasoning: The GPL propogates
> itself through what it touches. That's what's considered "viral",
> period.

Yes, it has *some* viral aspects. That doesn't mean "Free as in Herpes"
isn't deceitful mudslinging.

> All these rediculous nitpicks about "useful purpose" and "voluntary
> acts" are absolutely no more sensible than saying "No, it's not viral
> because it's not made out of nucleic acids!!" Doesn't matter if you
> like the GPL or not: Face it, the shoe fits.

Nitpicking? Are you serious? GPL has provided immense benefits and has
been voluntarily adopted around the world, and it's "nitpicking" to
criticize somebody who says "Free as in Herpes"?

> As for the comparison with D, if someone makes a negative statement
> about D that *is* truthful, even said in a joking tounge-in-cheek
> mannar, I do *not* get pissed off or up in arms about it. And even
> when it isn't truthful, I usually just simply correct them.

*snort* You of the midnight, drunken rants about Google, or rants about
pretty much anything. Sure, you "simply correct" people and don't get
pissed off. Are you going to make me dig up examples?