Free?

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Wed Oct 26 02:26:30 PDT 2011

On 10/26/2011 07:32 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Kagamin"<spam at here.lot>  wrote in message
> news:j884ui$cra$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> It's free code. The whole point is to let people go ahead and use it.
>>
>> Anyone can use GPL, it has no problem with it.
>
> I think you misunderstood my point. What I was trying to say is: If
> someone's going to worry about others profiting from their free code, why'd
> they even make it free in the first place?

Free software is not software that is gratis. It is software that
respects the freedom of its end users. The problem is not that others
profit from the software. That is okay. The problem is that proprietary
developers may make the end users dependent on their own
proprietary/non-free version, at which point the end users lose control
about their computing. The GPL prohibits that.