Free?

Chante udontspamme at never.will.u
Wed Oct 26 13:55:34 PDT 2011

"Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.v3ylgbgaeav7ka at localhost.localdomain...
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:04:18 -0400, Chante <udontspamme at never.will.u>
> wrote:
>

>> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:op.v3u2chz6eav7ka at localhost.localdomain...

>>> Patents are to foster innovation.  Software innovation needs no
>>> patent
>>> system to foster it.  Nobody writes a piece of software because they
>>> were  able to get a patent for it.
>>>
>>> I feel software patents are a completely different entity than
>>> material
>>> patents.  For several reasons:
>>>
>>> 1. Software is already well-covered by copyright.
>>
>> Software, though, is not like a book: it's not just text. There is
>> inherent design, architecture, engineering represented by source code.
>
> Books require design, sometimes elaborate design, and engineering of
> sorts.  What an author puts into writing a book is not unlike what an
> entity puts into writing software.

With a book, the text is the end product. With software, the source code
is an intermediate representation, or production machine rather than the
end product. Source code is like a printing press for a specific book. It
is not like the book. (These analogies are presented more for analysis,
rather than in direct or opposing response).

>>> 2. With few exceptions, the lifetime of utility of a piece of
>>> software
>>> is  well below the lifetime of a patent (currently 17 years).
>>> 3. It is a very slippery slope to go down.  Software is a purely
>>> *abstract* thing, it's not a machine.
>>
>> Maybe literally "abstract", but those flow charts, layers,
>> boxes-and-arrows actually become realized (rendered, if you will) by
>> the
>> source code. The text really isn't important. The "abstraction" is.
>
> Software is not unlike math.

I disagree. While one can use software to perform math, that does not
make software "like math".

> It achieves something based on an abstract  concept of the world.  It
> has practical uses.

That is too vague/general. Lacks the required amount of substance to be
useful.

> But math is not patentable.

Given that I don't accept your stance that "software is like math", that
is then irrelevant.

>>> It can be produced en mass with  near-zero cost.  It can be expressed
>>> via source code, which is *not* a  piece of software.  There is a
>>> very
>>> good reason things like music, art,  and written works are not
>>> patentable.
>>
>> Music and art don't "do" anything except titilate the senses.
>> Software,
>> OTOH, does do things of practical utility.
>
> Music and art are both different from software and the same.  They are
> different because there are no rules for creating valid music or art.
> I  could bang on the wall randomly with a pipe, and try to sell that as
> music  (and ironically, I might succeed).  But they are the same
> because writing  music and creating art that *is good* is a difficult
> thing that requires  careful thought, planning, and execution.

Too vague and non-substantive to be used in support of any position on
the issue of software patents.