Free?

Chante udontspamme at never.will.u
Wed Oct 26 14:23:58 PDT 2011

"Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.v3yn2di8eav7ka at localhost.localdomain...
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:37:02 -0400, Kagamin <spam at here.lot> wrote:
>
>> Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Software is already well-covered by copyright.
>>
>> You can't write software out of thin air. Let's suppose ranges
>> increase  usability of a collections library. Can you write a
>> collections library  without knowing about ranges concept? That's what
>> patents are for.
>
> patents exist to give an *incentive* to give away trade secrets that
> would  otherwise die with the inventor.

That last part is, of course, a fallacy. It implies that the trade
secrets would not be carried forward beyond the inventor's life by
companies, progeny or some other means.

>The idea is, if you patent something,  you enjoy a period of monopoly,
>where you can profit from the fruits of  your invention.

The defined period though may or may not be enough to recover the costs
of invention. Who's to put a price on someone's work of invention which
cost him pretty much all of his adult life? The patent office? I think
not! And while some may not like that another's goals may be to "milk the
invention for all it's worth for as long as possible", that's just "tough
titties". Others may desire that scenario to give some "power" to those
who can do good with it rather than build war machines and make war.

> In return, you bestow upon the world the secret behind  your idea.

That is only one possible scenario, perhaps "the moral high ground"
perspective, but not even so, as shown above. It looks more (to me) like
someone wanting to "get something for nothing". Instead of playing people
like lottery tickets, those types should... buy lottery tickets|

> This allows people to build on your idea in the future, instead of
> nobody ever being able to discover what your invention was.

The people in the company surrounding the product don't do that? Isn't
software like children? An inventor may indeed have goals and purposes
envisioned for his inventions. Why bother bringing babies home from the
hospital? Just leave them there for whatever, right? Why not make all
things a giant cesspool of cluster-fucking? Everything, all of the time,
100% entitlement. (As the corporate middle managers yell in unison, "Yeah
man, that!").

Now, about those proprietary "rights" you think you have to your
children... are you sure someone else hasn't filed a patent for them
before you?