Free?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 13:23:34 PDT 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:02:03 -0400, Chante <udontspamme at never.will.u>
wrote:

> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote
>>
>> compiled software
>
> (you meant, "source code")

OK, let's try this again.

Source code is copyrightable.  Compiled code *IS ALSO* copyrighted due to
it being a direct translation of the source code that is copyrighted.  Any
way you take source code and make some other form of media-based data out
of it is copyrighted.  We can keep going around in this circle if you wish.

This might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_copyright

>> is copyrighted, it's a derivative translation of the  original source
>> code. When speaking of copyrighted software, the binary  code and the
>> source used to build it are one and the same.
>
> OK, but what if the "source code" is only graphical on the computer
> display, and the internal binary representation (not text) is then
> compiled? Obviously, the design of the software are the graphical
> diagrams on the computer screen for they are what the programmer
> understands.

Images are copyrightable as is all media-based data.

-Steve