Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Oct 29 08:16:20 PDT 2011

On Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:21:39 dsimcha wrote:

> >> David Nadlinger's Thrift project can't go into Phobos because of
> >> licensing IIUC and probably doesn't belong in a standard library
> >> anyhow.
> >
> > I think it would be great to push it in Phobos - at least in etc. What
> > are the licensing issues?
>
> On second thought I guess none with just the bindings.

What license are the bindings? It would have to allow for us to have a D
module which imported them and is still be able to use the Boost license,
which some licenses (e.g. GPL) wouldn't allow. From recent discussions on
mysql, it sounds like the bindings themselves must generally stay the same
license as the original (unless the license or original author specifically
permits otherwise) as they're considered a derivative work. So, IIUC, I the
bindings alone for a project which is not Boost compatible are still enough to
make that project incompatible with Boost.

Okay... Glancing at wikipedia, it looks like Thrift uses the Apache license,
and from what Wikipedia says on the Apache license, it sounds like you can
change anything under the Apache license to another license as long as you
keep the appropriate copyright notices. So, it looks like we can change the
bindings to be under Boost and be okay. So, from looking at Wikipedia at
least, it looks like we're fine. I'm not an expert though.

- Jonathan M Davis