Free?

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 13:54:29 PDT 2011

Am 28.10.2011 05:31, schrieb Chante:
> Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> Am 26.10.2011 23:52, schrieb Steven Schveighoffer:

>>> If you have no idea how a material is built, such as a new kind of
>>> glass, you have to guess.
>>
>> Ok, for materials it's probably hard, but there is a possibility of
>> chemical analysis and stuff like that.
>> But I guess for things like e.g. car engines it may be easier (besides
>> maybe special/new materials used).
>
> It's not worth it. If a company is relying on a competitor's engines to
> develop it's own, it's effectively out of the business of engineering
> (it's just then a manufacturer of other company's products perhaps).
> Competitive analyis is fine, but a company cannot be in the engine
> business without the required engineering prowess required for that.

I don't know.
I guess you could claim the same thing about companies who have to steal
code from other companies instead of writing it themselves.

So what's the difference between "competitive analysis" and "looking at
foreign code" anyway?
How can you be sure that your engineers don't copy ideas from
competitors engines?

Cheers,
- Daniel