phobos alt.

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Oct 29 17:09:14 PDT 2011

On Sunday, October 30, 2011 02:58:32 Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 02:43:44 +0300, bls <bizprac at orange.fr> wrote:
> >>
> >> std.container?
> >>
> >> http://d-programming-language.org/phobos/std_container.html
> >
> > Hi Vladimir,
> > _Please_ compare the half baked std.container stuff  {more or less just
> > an Interface)  vs  Stevens  dcollections.
>
> std.container seems to have been written by the very same Steven
> Schveighoffer.
>
> (Also, I've never used any collection/container modules, so can't speak
> about their feature-completeness.)

The basic design of std.container comes from Andrei Alexandrescu, and he wrote
Array and SList, but RedBlackTree comes from dcollections with some minor
alterations to make it fit in std.container. More containers are forthcoming.
The primary holdup at the moment is that Andrei wants the custom allocator
scheme that Phobos will use to be sorted out before writing all of those
containers, otherwise they'll have to be changed once that happens, and it
could break a lot of code.

On the whole, std.container has a solid basic design. It just isn't complete
yet. It's a big problem and arguably Phobos' greatest deficiency, but it's a
problem that will be solved. In the interim, dcollections does exist and can
be used.

- Jonathan M Davis