Free?

Chante udontspamme at never.will.u
Sat Oct 29 20:33:16 PDT 2011

"Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:j8hppc$2nei$2 at digitalmars.com...
> Am 28.10.2011 05:18, schrieb Chante:
>> Daniel Gibson wrote:

>> Note that reverse-engineering is like copying someone else's homework.
>> It
>> doesn't build any engineering capability. It actually hinders such
>> from
>> occurring.

Ha! I answered your question of the other post here before you asked it!
Kudos to moi!

>>> Really?
>>> I guess it depends on the machine but I imagine it isn't so hard to
>>> dismantle a machine to find out how it works? (But I have no
>>> experience with that,  it's just a guess)
>>> Reverse Engineering software can be pretty hard if the author made it
>>> deliberately hard, like Skype.
>>>

>> Interesting. How did Skype's engineer make it hard to
>> reverse-engineer?
>> Have a link?
>>

> http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~salman/skype/ here are some links.
> For example "Silver Neede in the Skype" seems to have some information,
> I didn't look at the other stuff.

I will check that out next week. Thanks.

> One way to make reverse engineering harder is trying to detect
> debuggers (by measuring time and stuff takes longer if a debugger is
> involved etc) and then cease working.

I was just thinking "deterent" rather than "bullet proof". As such, maybe
I'd use:

1. Built-in mechanisms to prevent end-user copying (many possibilities).
2. An obfuscator on the source before compilation.
3. Compression/expansion, use of TPM, etc.
4. Encryption, where it can be applied (operational behavior, not on
source code).

2 and 3 seem real easy to automate: as easy as pushing the "compile"
button.
1 seems like a small, internally-used library. Oh, so does 4.