GSoC Mentor Summit Observations and D Marketing

Fawzi Mohamed fawzi at gmx.ch
Sun Oct 30 03:07:51 PDT 2011

At the gsoc I was using something like this:

a better (simplified) C++:
- close to C but not 100% backward compatible, either it compiles or it gives an error
	- easy to link C, partially possible to use C++ libs (no template instantiation)
- single inheritance + interfaces (and contracts)
- garbage collection (possible to avoid with some effort)
- better templates (template language close to normal D, constraints), CTFE and mixing
- auto/foreach
- delegates

- immutable/const/pure if the discussions goes in that direction

and going more in depth in the things that did strike the listener.

I was also surprised about how many already heard something about D, I got even some questions about D1/D2 tango/phobos.
My answers were something along these lines:
- D2 toolchain becoming now robust enough to be chosen for new projects (with gdc finally also 64 bits)
- D1 simpler, but misses some nice features of D2, not all D2 features are perfect, but the proposal is compelling
- it was difficult for the community to improve the lib & druntime -> tango, personally I think it is the better library for D1 (I was contributing to it), unfortunately not compatible with phobos. D2 runtime, and no tango yet, but if/when it comes likely it will use druntime.

Fawzi