phobos alt.

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Oct 31 16:11:03 PDT 2011

On Monday, October 31, 2011 15:47 bls wrote:
> > I encourage anyone to port any portion of dcollections to
> > std.container. If nothing else it will help flesh out the design of
> > std.container
>
> Ahem.. No offense, or wth
>
> Maybe I miss the point but I guess you will agree with me that Phobos,
> in order to become a serious library, requires at least! a container
> library. (guess that's why you've created dcollections:) )
>
> Remarkable enough that a really young language (compared to D) more
> exact Scala has to offer so MUCH more.
>
> Now again ...what _Was_ the point ? Allocation ? Let me quote yourself
> from dsource ...
>
> Features .. Custom allocators.
>
> Further.. Could not find it .. But something similar to .. Possibility
> to exchange the underlaying algorithm.. (Say RBTree, AVL,Skiplist) to
> implement for instance map!()
>
> Sure, I am not using D for bread and butter but would like to,,,.
> Nevertheless be assured that I will not even touch D. for small
> commercial projects, until at least xml, (rest/wsdl) and necessarily the
> collection stuff is available.
>
> Again,, no offense,no bashing or whatever, just an opinion.

That's perfectly reasonable. The fact that std.container is so incomplete is a
_huge_ problem for Phobos. It needs to be filled out and its API fully ironed
out. Overall, it looks solid, but it just doesn't have enough actual usage at
this point to really verify that because of the lack of containers.
std.container _will_ be completed, so this really shouldn't be a long term
concern, but in the short term, I agree that it's a definite problem.

- Jonathan M Davis