Go and generic programming on reddit, also touches on D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Sep 18 12:46:57 PDT 2011

"Timon Gehr" <timon.gehr at gmx.ch> wrote in message
news:j55h4f$1ia5$1 at digitalmars.com...

>> The only advantages slices have left
>> are (a) type syntax, i.e. T[] instead of Slice!T, (b) literal syntax,
>> i.e. [ 1, 2, 3 ] instead of slice(1, 2, 3), and (c) a couple of stray
>> language bugs such as '$'.
>
> I am thankful for $, as it is a great feature, and it really should be
> made accessible to user defined types. Either through opDollar or the
> rewrite a[foo($)] => a[foo(a.length)]. What makes it qualify as a stray
> language bug to you?

He's saying that one of the few advantages slices have left over
user-defined types is that, for slices, $ actually works. The bug is that it
doesn't work for user-defined types.

FWIW, I like the rewrite idea far better than opDollar.