Why did D leave the programming language shootout and will it return?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 13:57:17 PDT 2011

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:36:25 -0400, Chris Dew <cmsdew at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does this just boil down to them not wanting to include D and it's their
> site?

Yes.  But I think it's not because he doesn't like D, I think it's more
because he did not want to maintain every language out there, and he had
to pick only 20.  So it's not really fair to fault him for not picking D,
or for not picking up D again.  I'm sure if he replaced another language
with D, people would complain about that too.

> (Yet they include ATS and Go.)

*shrugs* I probably would pick different ones, but whichever ones I didn't
pick would probably feel left out.

Maybe he likes doing Go more than D, so he picked Go.  But I'm not him,
and people are entitled to their opinion, it is *his* site, not ours.  As
he rightly points out, the code for his tests are available, we can always
publish our own results.

-Steve