The Strange Loop conference

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Sep 21 09:55:55 PDT 2011

I'm back from the Strange Loop conference. It's been an interesting
experience. The audience was very diverse, with interest in everything
functional (you'd only need to say "Haskell" or "monad" to get positive
aahs), Web/cloud/tablet stuff, concurrent and distributed systems.
Mentioning C++ non-mockingly was all but a faux pas; languages like
Scala, Haskell, Clojure, and Erlang got attention. The quality of talks
has been very variable, and unfortunately the
over-confident-but-clueless-speaker stereotype was well represented.

I gave a talk there
(https://thestrangeloop.com/sessions/generic-programming-galore-using-d)
which has enjoyed moderate audience and success. I uploaded the slides
at http://erdani.com/d/generic-programming-galore.pdf and the video may
be available soon.

There was a very strong interest in D's CTFE abilities, which we should
consider a strategic direction going forward. Also finalizing D's
concurrency language and library infrastructure is essential. These two
features are key differentiators. Also, capitalizing on D's functional
features (which are e.g. better than Scala's but less known) would add
good value.

Thanks,

Andrei