D on hackernews

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Wed Sep 21 16:17:39 PDT 2011

Am 21.09.2011, 16:24 Uhr, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu
<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>:

> On 9/21/11 8:52 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> On 09/21/2011 09:37 AM, bearophile wrote:
>>> Andrei Alexandrescu:

>>> I think the Wikipedia D page needs to be rewritten, leaving 80-90% of
>>> its space to D (meaning D2).
>>>

>> Yes, that is important. Wikipedia is usually the first place people go
>> looking for information, and much of the information given there is
>> horribly outdated/wrong and mostly only concerns.
>
> Agreed. Does anyone volunteer for fixing D's Wikipedia page?
>
> Andrei

Is anyone uninvolved enough to be objective and involved enough to know
what they write?
Timon, I think you are exaggerating a bit. It is not mostly only concerns,
but I agree they have bold headers, and other language pages like Java or
C++ lack this section entirely. Now it would certainly make people
suspicious if the section disappeared over night. I would reduce the font
weight of the headers in that section, remove the talk about UTF-8 string
handling, at some point in time move the 'library split' issue to a
historical section about D1. I think the focus on x86 is also a valid
concern.

Here are some statistics I collected, for fun:

The Català version also says the following:
- It is unstable and unsuitable for production environments (version 0.140)

The Català and Galego version say:
- The only documentation is the official specification

The following languages are a direct translations of (or the source for)
the English version. Maybe their authors can be contacted and are willing
to update their language version after the change:
- Arabic
- Español
- Polski (not the exact same sections, probably translated from an older
version)

The Italian version has the most impressive features list with 14 sections
about characteristics!

The Latin version is blowing my mind, just because people who use a long
dead language would write code in a new one that has to do with computers:

import tango.io.Console;

int main(char[][] args) {
     Cout("salve munde!");
     return 0;
}

Many language pages are hopelessly outdated, but speakers of 'minority'
languages will look for an English article anyway.