compile-time explicitness

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Fri Sep 23 09:32:28 PDT 2011

It's great that you have taken an interest in the development of D!

Some of this is already in the language in other forms (enum, for instance)
and some has been discussed before (searching the newsgroup archive for
static arguments should find it) and rejected.  The bar for new language
features is pretty high at this point, and new features that don't add
important new functionality or remove serious problems are very unlikely to
make it in. (With some exceptions)

To make a stronger proposal, try going into more depth about what problems
this enhancement can solve and why they can't be solved using existing
features.

As for implementing this feature, it would require a huge amount of work on
dmd.  I'd suggest having a go at some of the 1000+ existing bugs before
trying to implement highly complex features in the compiler.

That said, I don't make the decisions with regard to new language features.
An idea that comes with an implementation always has more chance of getting
a serious review from the core language designers.