compile-time explicitness

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 11:31:40 PDT 2011

Gor F. Gyolchanyan Wrote:

> Thank you so much for an objective reply! Of course i realize, that there are more
> important issues with DMD (i recently suggested not to implement enhancement
> requests to free up time to fix bugs).

I was going to say, for someone who wants to stop work on enhancements, you sure do make a lot of requests.

Here is what I would like to caution you about, even for "future suggestions." One of the hardest parts of an idea is polishing it. Then finding someone to implement it, so it can be polished more. Then implementing it. So even ideas for D3 would be a distraction from getting things done in D2. This means you'll get many (Walter, Andrei...) that will not be participating in such discussions and only take quick glances.

The approach I would suggest. Is to assume an idea has already been discussed. Go to the D.learn section and post a question on how best to solve ... and include what you'd like to do. This will keep new ideas coming in, but have them directed through a filter. Even just rephrasing a topic becomes a learning experience, "why can't I be explicit about what is compile-time?"

Enjoy learning D and I hope you find good uses for it.