Possible way to achieve lazy loading with const objects

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Sep 23 21:11:52 PDT 2011

Okay. I'm not saying that we should necessarily implement this. I'm just
looking to air out an idea here and see if there are any technical reasons why
it can't be done or is unreasonable.

Some programmers have expressed annoyance and/or disappointment that there is
no logical const of any kind in D. They generally seem to be trying to do one
of two things - caching return values in member functions or lazily loading
the values of member variables. I really don't know how we could possibly do
caching with const, but I _do_ have an idea of how we could implement lazy

struct S
{
    lazy T var = func();
}

The lazy indicates that var is going to be lazily loaded, and func returns the
value that var will be initialized with. However, instead of being a normal
variable of type T, this is what happens to var:

1. Instead of a member variable of type T, S gets a bool (e.g. __varLoaded)
and a variable of type T (e.g. __var).

2. __varLoaded is default-initialized to false, and __var is void (so,
garbage).

3. Every reference to var is replaced with a call to a getter property
function (e.g. __varProp). There is no setter property.

4. __varProp looks something like this:

T __varProp()
{
    if(!__varLoaded)
    {
        __var = func();
        __varLoaded = true;
    }

    return __var;
}

5.  __varProp may or may not be inlined (but it would be nice if it would be).

6.  If the S being constructed is shared or immutable and __varProp is not
called in the constructor, then __varProp is called immediately after the
constructor (or at the end of the constructor if that works better for the
compiler).

7. An opCast is added to S for shared S and immutable S which calls __varProp
- or if such on opCast already exists, the call to __varProp is added at the
end of it.

The result of all of this is that the value of var is constant, but it isn't
calculated until it's asked for. It doesn't break const at all, since the
compiler can guarantee that altering the value of __varLoaded and __var is
safe. And since the value is eagerly loaded in the case of immutable and
shared, immutable  and shared don't cause any problems.

So, the question is: Does this work? And if not, why? And if it _does_ work,
is it a good idea? And if not, why?

Again, I'm not necessarily suggesting that we implement this right now, but it
at least _seems_ like a viable solution for introducing lazy loading in const
objects, and I'd like to know whether there's a good possibility that it will
actually work to implement something like this in the compiler. If it _is_
feasible, and we want to actually do it, since it's backwards compatible (as
far as I can tell anyway), we can implement it at some point in the future
when D has stabilized more, but I thought that the idea was at least worth
dicsussing.

I'm not at all convinced that the added complexity to the language and to the
compiler is worth the gain, but there are a number of programmers who want
some sort of lazy-loading ability for member variables in const objects, and
this seems to provide that.

- Jonathan M Davis