Anonymous function syntax

Alix Pexton alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.DOT.com
Sat Sep 24 04:24:25 PDT 2011

What are the pros and cons of using "=>" rather than "->"?

In an ideal world we might be able to use the correct "rightwards arrow
from bar" character (u+21A6), but I'm not suggesting we try to make one
out of the characters we can type ("|->" looks terrible).

To my mind, "->" is somewhat closer to being mathematically correct,
while "=>" reads as "implies", which is probably why lambdas in other
languages have confused me.

Is there a lexical justification for choosing "=>" over "->"?

A...