thoughts on immutability in D

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 05:48:52 PDT 2011

On 25/09/11 4:49 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 9/24/2011 6:03 AM, Peter Alexander wrote:
>> I only use const/immutable for concurrency. Nothing else.
>
> How do you avoid race conditions when setting logical const values?

You can't and don't. That's not what logical const is for. That's what
physical const is for, and it does a great job at that.

Can I just be clear: I am not anti-physical const. I'm just also not
anti-logical const, which D is. Logical const is best for functional
programming and physical const is best for concurrent programming. Both
are important.