Dee-sign patterns.

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Tue Sep 27 09:42:55 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Gor Gyolchanyan <
gor.f.gyolchanyan at gmail.com> wrote:

> After using D for quite a while I've developed some minor design
> patterns and code style suggestions, that could be useful.
> I wanted to post them somewhere on the internet, but then i thought,
> that the best place to put D-related useful information is on the
> official webpage itself.
> So i ask you guys, do you think it would be a good idea to create a
> section on http://www.d-programming.language.com/, devoted to design
> patterns, guidelines, best practice advices and similar stuff?
> If so, I'd like you to post your experience to that section, so there
> will be a big and reliable source of help on how to program on D on
> it's official site.
>
> Example of a coding pattern:
>
> If you have a class or struct, that has a lookup function by string
> identifier, consider using opDispatch to add a very convenient syntax
> sugar to your class or struct. And if the lookup term can be run-time
> defined, make an opIndex for that, write the implementation in opIndex
> and forward the call from opDispatch to opIndex, possibly doing
> caching, knowing, that the search term is compile-time defined.
>
> Cheers,
> Gor.

I'd love some guidelines and tips for writing idiomatic D code like you've
written above.  Whenever I'm learning a new language (as I am doing
currently with D) I'm often concerned I'm not doing things the "proper" way
and instead just using the techniques I know from other languages.  Python,
for example, has Code Like a Pythonista [1] which I found very helpful for
learning to do things the Python way.  Of course, it may be tricky getting
people to agree on what "idiomatic D" is.

Similarly, a "cookbook" (snippets for common problems) is also often very
useful to both beginners and even experienced users of a language. Stack
Overflow [2] may fill this role better than a custom rolled solution though
since it's easier to keep solutions up to date. The R language community
held a little event [3] where they filled Stack Overflow up with the top 100
common questions and answers.  I think this is something the D community may
want to consider (especially given the very high quality answers to
questions about D that have been posted to Stack Overflow in the past).

[1] http://python.net/~goodger/projects/pycon/2007/idiomatic/handout.html
[2] http://www.stackoverflow.com
[3] http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2009/07/stack-overflow-flash-mobs/