Mixed int/BigInt foreach interval

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Sep 27 14:36:38 PDT 2011

It seems my original post of this thread was confused and not clear enough. In that post I have also mixed two different things (a Phobos enhancement request that doesn't require a lot of discussion, and a more complex discussion about usefulness of possible D language changes. See below).

Jonathan M Davis:

> I'd be _very_ surprised to see that happen, since BigInt is in Phobos as
> opposed to being at the language level.

Multi-precision integers are important. In several languages they are even built-in (like in Lisp/Scheme languages, Haskell, Python, some modern variants of Forth, and so on).

I didn't ask to turn BigInts into D built-ins. What I was asking is if there are generic ideas worth changing in D language to allow a better creation and integration of library-defined multi-precision integers :-) (example: ideas like opCast(bool) are not specific to BigInts, but they allow to implement better BigInts).
Maybe there are no ways to improve the situation.

Bye,
bearophile