Goodbye, garbage collector!

Gor Gyolchanyan gor.f.gyolchanyan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 04:12:39 PDT 2011

I got the point.
This boils down to the same issue of "is the feature worth changing
the language".
a GraphicsCardAllocator would still be very useful, even if it would
force you to use custom array types.

I looked at the programming paradigms, that D added on top of those,
taken from C++, including improved generic programming, generative
programming, functional programming...
And thought, that it would be a very good idea to add
hardware-distributed programming.
Even if it would be purely library solution.
What i mean is an integration of D with OpenCL: a very easy way to
switch the memory and processing between required devices.
We could have a compile-time functions, that translate D code into
OpenCL kernels and perform all necessary setup at program start-up.
You'd feed the D modules in the templates and the templates would
generate the necessary code to make the module run on desired
hardware.
We all know, that an OpenCL binding for D will come along eventually
(if not already done).
It would be very nice to further improve it's usability, using D's
unique language features.

What do you think?