dmd for ARM

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Sep 28 08:51:56 PDT 2011

"Trass3r" <un at known.com> wrote in message news:op.v2iqj1t23ncmek at enigma...
> Am 28.09.2011, 01:30 Uhr, schrieb Ruben <chromium at hybridsource.org>:
>
>> Hello, is there a chance an ARM backend can be written for dmd this year?
>
> No. We won't even get Win x64 support in that time frame.
>
>> it appears that those wanting to use ARM are pointed at gdc/ldc,
>> but it seems like those two projects are usually behind in D2 support
>
> gdc is very active and so far has always been on par with dmd.
> There are a few ARM-specific bugs though that still need to be fixed. Feel
> free to help out.
> ldc is only 1 revision behind currently.
>

>> Some estimate of when dmd might come to ARM or
>> why such a port is not a priority would be appreciated.
>
> Cause there are plenty of bugs and unfinished feature implementations that
> are way more important.
> Plus you are free to use gdc or ldc to generate code for ARM targets
> *right now*.

Considering that myself and other people are *already* getting by with D on
x86 right now, I really have to strongly disagree with making D usable on
ARM being less important. Yes, there's definitely a lot of very important
things to be done right here on x86, but at least its *usable* on x86. So
usable, in fact, that there's people and companies already relying on it for
production work. But for ARM tagerts, you're pretty much SOL at the moment,
from what I understand.

Of course, I'm not saying "Hey DMD/GDC/LDC/druntime/phobos developers, go do
that!!!" I have no right to say anything like that, especially since I'm
unable to help out on it myself. But I'm just saying I don't believe
anything could *really* be more important for D right now (well, except
maybe dynamic libs if there's still any big problems with that - I haven't
tried).