new frontend written in D

Trass3r un at known.com
Wed Sep 28 09:15:35 PDT 2011

> Yes. I agree. Hm... What if we make a highly modular D-based front-end
> like that and provide a DMD-front-end adapter for it?
> That wouldn't break anything. DMC, GCC and LLVM would still get the
> required data, taken from a front-end with the same interface, so
> neither of three compilers would notice the change.

Pretty impossible I think.
They are written in C++ and there's no real such thing as an interface.
They access the AST nodes directly.
Also IIRC they modify the nodes to contain specific information for their
backend.

> How about that? We could take Dil's parser and work on it as an
> alternative to starting from scratch.

Yeah but as I said, it's D1/Tango and GPL.

>> What about dil's parser isn't working?
>> I thought it was pretty complete.
>
> It doesn't do semantic analysis. Without semantic analysis, it's
> useless beyond ddoc.

Agreed, but semantic analysis != parser :)