new frontend written in D

Christophe travert at phare.normalesup.org
Thu Sep 29 01:21:25 PDT 2011

"Jonathan M Davis" , dans le message (digitalmars.D:145639), a écrit :
> I honestly don't understand why having a D compiler in written in D is so
> important to some people. What we need is a solid compiler. The language that
> it's in doesn't matter all that much IMHO. Yes, it's a good sign for D if it
> can have a fully functional, performant compiler written in D (especially if
> it's _more_ performant than a comparable compiler written in C++), but what
> matters is being able to write your own code in D, not whether the tools
> you're using were written in any particular language.

Having a compiler written in D may help people from the community to
try and understand the compiler's code written in their favorite
langage, so there may be more people invested here. You have much more
volunteers to write D code for the library for example.

However, as long as the langage (and phobos?) is not stable, it does not
seems to be a good idea to write the compiler in D. We want the compiler
to be safe and stable at first.