new frontend written in D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Sep 29 02:44:24 PDT 2011

On Thursday, September 29, 2011 13:35:03 Gor Gyolchanyan wrote:
> Right. And if the compiler is written in D, it's much more readable
> and maintainable and it will gain much more volunteer manpower, since
> it's so easy to work on.

While the compiler probably would be easier to work on if it were written in
D, I honestly don't think that it would be enough of an improvement to really
make that much of a difference in volunteer manpower, unless we were dealing
with a bunch of potential volunteers who knew D but not C++. The issue with
working on the compiler is understanding what the code is trying to do and how
it works, not the fact that it's written C++ rather than D.

The primary advantage is in having a lexer and parser that any program can
then use, because then it makes it much easier to create tools which can
process D code. The compiler itself isn't really going to gain much by being
in D.

- Jonathan m Davis