std.getopt suggestion

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Sep 30 10:55:29 PDT 2011

On Friday, September 30, 2011 10:30 Christophe wrote:
> "Jonathan M Davis" , dans le message (digitalmars.D:145845), a écrit :
> >> ahem
> >
> > ??? Please elaborate.
>
> Let me guess: He considers their is not enough improvement to justify a
> breaking change. It's quite obvious, since he considers this is a
> negative improvement.

I wasn't talking about having to change the name because of possible changes
to the mutable global variables. I was talking about the fact that we may want
to change the defaults as far as the config enum goes. The pull request has an
improvement to those options which it is currently listing as "recommended" in
the docs, because changing the defaults would silently break code. Changing
the name would fix that problem. It would also mean that getopt could then
match Phobos' naming conventions. If we don't change the defaults, then it's
more debatable as to whether it's worth fixing the name so that it matches
Phobos' naming conventions - particularly in light of the fact that the name
getopt is fairly common.

Regardless, if Andrei (or anyone) wants me (or anyone else) to understand what
they mean in post, they need to be clear, and Andrei was not clear in this
particular case - hence why I'm asking for clarification. Your assessment of
what he meant may or may not be correct.

- Jonathan M Davis