[OT] Just curious: What's this algorithm's name?

bls bizprac at orange.fr
Wed Apr 4 16:22:50 PDT 2012

On 04/03/2012 10:33 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Suppose you have a directed graph, which may have cycles, and you want to
> compute something for each node. But the final result for each node is
> dependent on the final results for each of the nodes it points to. (It may
> sound like this would just cause an endless "feedback loop" ie infinite
> recursion whenever there's a cycle, but there are applications of this where
> that isn't a problem. Ie, in cases where the computation stops recursing
> when it gets back to itself.)

Had to find my R. Sedgewick and N. Wirth  Algorithm books..  But: these
books do not even give a hint. Nada.

However the problem you describe smells like something for which the the
"Chain of Responsibility Pattern" is made for.

Though  this pattern requires a break condition 'cause you wont an
endless search of an responsible
( Finally We are programmers, not politicians )

I have a hard time to image how your Graph Node might look.

SOOOooooo... Here you go