DIP16: Transparently substitute module with package

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 06:49:59 PDT 2012

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 09:23:25 -0400, Timon Gehr <timon.gehr at gmx.ch> wrote:

>> No, public imports simply mean that you can view the publicly imported
>> module. It does *not* add aliases to the importing module.
>>

> Have you tried it?

I just did.  OK, what the hell are we arguing about then?!

DIP16 is worksforme :)

See this part of the spec:

http://dlang.org/module.html

Read the part on public modules.  You may understand why I didn't know
about that "feature" (which seems to work on all the installed compilers I
have, back to 2.033).  I just read the public import part of TDPL, and
there it is, all spelled out quite nicely.  I'm going to file a bug
against the spec...  grrr...

I'm now firmly in the "we don't need to change anything, just refactor the
modules and use public import" camp.  We don't even need to change
ANYTHING in the compiler!  Forget everything I said before in this thread
;)

I suppose the only thing we don't get is being able to have a module and a
package with the same FQN.  I don't see that being a major issue.

-Steve