Unicode, graphemes and D

stephan stephanfmueller+dlang at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 12:11:11 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 5 April 2012 at 16:17:46 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> Though I can use it iff the license is Boost compatible.

Ah, the licensing question. I am not a lawyer and I don't know
much about copyright law. So you have to do your own research.
But here is my view regarding the unicodedata.d license situation.

Our code is Boost licensed. It is however not a clean-room
installation. Although almost all algorithms and data structures
are different and there is minimal (and clearly marked) direct
copying, we have looked quite a bit at the ICU implementation
(and its predecessors) for inspiration. The ICU license is very
permissive, hence you should be ok here.

Furthermore, data files from the Unicode Consortium are part of
the distribution. They are used in the "script mode" (version
SCRIPT_DATA) to generate the relevant Unicode data in an
appropriate format. Furthermore, they are used in the extensive
unit tests (version ALL_UNIT_TESTS) for testing correctness
against various test files and derived property files. Again, the
data files have a very permissive license.

Let me know if I can be of any help.