D projects list

Denis Shelomovskij verylonglogin.reg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 01:34:09 PDT 2012

06.04.2012 1:04, Nick Sabalausky пишет:
> "Denis Shelomovskij"<verylonglogin.reg at gmail.com>  wrote in message
> news:jlkubn$k4f$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> I think it will be great to have a single place for all D related projects
>> so a developer can easily find what is already done
>> (for an example of "I didn't now about you project" see, e.g. "Modern COM
>> Programming in D" thread), what is *planned* and what great projects have
>> already failed (and, maybe, reveal it).
>>
>> A draft variant of how I see such page is this with a few projects added
>> (note "Planned" tag (yes, empty for now)):
>> http://deoma-cmd.ru/d/d-projects-list/
>>
>> Usage examples:
>> * lets find a D compiler with release or beta maturity:
>> http://deoma-cmd.ru/d/d-projects-list/?q=Compiler+Beta+Release
>> * lets find not abandoned GUI library for D:
>> http://deoma-cmd.ru/d/d-projects-list/?q=GUI+!Abandoned
>>

>> I'd like to put http://deoma-cmd.ru/d/d-projects-list/projects.js into
>> GitHub so developers can fork and edit it.
>>
>> I'd like to hear (but yes, I can only read, this is NG) any thoughts about
>> this idea.
>>

> There are already a "List of D projects" pages on the wiki: See the
> "Projects" section in the left nav panel here:
> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi  I'm sure new categories could be added
> as needed.
>
> However, I do like the idea have having something that's searchable/sortable
> as you suggest.
>
> I would suggest though, that it be separated into two main parts:
>
> 1. Some sort of central database with a documented, publically-accessible
> machine interface, not a human interface. (And for the love of god, not
> XML.)
>
> 2. A human-usable frontend.
>
> That way, alternative frontends can be created. We could even create a D
> module (maybe in phobos?) to access the list.
>
> (IMO, that's how most web apps should work. And then backends that deal with
> the same type of data should use standardized interfaces. Hell, that's how
> *real* apps already work (standard file formats, network protocols, etc) -
> that's how computing finally achieved interoperability decades ago, before
> web apps sunk us back into the "no interoperability" dark ages again...But
> now I'm ranting, I'll stop.)
>
> Captcha and/or user management for write-access would be built into #1, not
> #2. If captcha, then a frontend would tell the backend "I want to write
> access to X resource, or everything (whatever)" and the backend would send
> back a captcha image. The front end would then show it to the user, and
> relay the answer back to the backend.
>
> Actually, better yet, the backend would be user accounts only, but then
> there'd be a special account for anonymous captcha users. It's be one "anon
> captcha user" account for *each* frontend that wanted to allow captcha. The
> frontend would then use whatever the hell captcha system it wanted and, if
> [...]

Totally agree.

You aren't a nut. I'm a nut. Because I believes HTML should die with all
present web browsers and JS. And XML because of its frighten overuse.
And all slow and buggy web apps.

And adobe Flash of course should also die. Damn, they have created
slow-by-design thing (e.g. see extremely slow YouTube (and other Flash
based video players) video rendering - now you really need a modern PC
just to watch a video) and now want to make it faster. With graphical
acceleration. It results in BSOD-s (yes, I'm on Windows) using web
browsers. Current systems was too stable. Users was too slack. Hello
unstable times!

Yes, I like ranting more than you...

Now on business. I have time now and like you suggestions. So, something
like it, I hope, will be done in this year.

By the way, I have intentionally added repos to projects list - it is
because such catalogue should automatically monitor projects states (the
last commit date) when possible.

--
Денис В. Шеломовский
Denis V. Shelomovskij