Discussion on Go and D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Apr 6 11:01:12 PDT 2012

On 4/6/2012 10:37 AM, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
> I hope there is something wrong with my reasoning, and that you could give me
> some hints to avoid the memory bloat and the application stalls.

A couple of things you can try (they are workarounds, not solutions):

1. Actively delete memory you no longer need, rather than relying on the gc to
catch it. Yes, this is as unsafe as using C's free().

2. Null out pointers & references when you are done with them. This helps reduce
unwanted pinning of unused gc memory.

3. Minimize use of global memory, as that is a major source of source of roots.