IDE Support for D

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 16:45:39 PDT 2012

On 7 April 2012 02:15, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Apr 2012, Manu wrote:
>
> > I use VisualD, and it's currently borderline. It has recently gained the
> > minimum useful feature set, but still has quite a few bugs. It's
> promising
> > though. Hoping there is a new release soon with a few of the critical
> bugs
> > fixed >_<
> >
> > If there was a SublimeText integration, I would pay good money for it...
> > (actually, I would pay good money for VisualD too if it became solid)
>
> up front: not picking on this email specifically, it just happened to be
> handy and represents a common problem with this community.
>
> A large number of people are in the 'want things to be better than they
> are camp' and are looking at projects that are largely one man projects.
> I can just about guarantee that one man projects will die, it's only a
> matter of time.  If you truely want to see product-X work for you, lend
> some of your time.
>
> It doesn't take a lot of help to greatly improve both the quality of a
> product and the liklihood that it'll survive much longer, but it does take
> some.
>
> My 2 cents,
> Brad

Fair enough I guess, but I'm a customer. I work commercially, and I'd
happily pay money for tools that work.
Sadly, I can't offer any significant amount of my own time. I already
involve myself in my own time to the extent I am able, and even there I'm
over-extending (still trying to finish up std.simd, though I'm blocked
waiting on support for vector literals)...

I tend to think for the D enterprise to largely succeed, it needs
commercial interest, and also the ability to realise and meet commercial
expectations. Otherwise it'll just be a toy for language enthusiasts.
I agree that the 1-man-team projects are a little dangerous. What if these
small projects were supported financially? How many commercial interests
are there in the community?

Could we start putting micro bounties on features and/or projects? Would
that encourage rogue implementation of high-demand features?