D projects list

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Apr 6 23:27:27 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 02:52:38PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1417.1333721195.4860.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> > On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 12:34:09PM +0400, Denis Shelomovskij wrote:
> >> And adobe Flash of course should also die.
> >
> > +1. It should have died a DECADE ago. Except that certain interests
> > kept its decaying worm-infested corpse animating even till today.
> >

> Funny, that's also how I feel about C++. As I've been saying for
> awhile, a decade of near-zero interest in anything but VM languages is
> what kept it on life support.

I would've felt the same had I known of a suitable replacement for C++
earlier. But for many years it was the only thing I had (besides pure
hardcore C) that was even remotely close to what my "ideal" language
would be.

> Fortunately, D's quickly becoming the successor that's always been
> needed so C++ will finally be able to RIP.

You have no idea how many times I swore off C++ because of its inherent
stupidities (like hash tables not making the C++ standard before C++11,
among many other sillinesses), only to have to crawl back on my knees
when other alternatives sucked even more.

When I finally discovered D, I was almost blown away by how many things
it got right, in my book. (I had a list of things I wanted in an ideal
language, and D fits so many items on that list it's quite uncanny.)

[...]
> I can personally vouch for the fact that there is *nothing* productive
> about writing software in Flash. C++ is more productive.
[...]

>From the very first day I heard about Flash, I've had my doubts. It just
*smelled* wrong. That was before I even had any idea of how it's
implemented. Time has proven that my gut feeling was correct. Flash is a
festering wart that should be blotted from off the face of the internet
for the sake of the future of humanity.

It is of the new things that men tire --- of fashions and proposals and
improvements and change. It is the old things that startle and
intoxicate. It is the old things that are young. -- G.K. Chesterton