a pretty exciting result for parallel D lang rmd following defrag by name

Jay Norwood jayn at prismnet.com
Sun Apr 8 00:34:55 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 8 April 2012 at 01:18:49 UTC, Jay Norwood wrote:
> in it.  Same 3.7 second delete.   I'll have to analyze what is
> happening, but this is a huge improvement.   If it is just the
> sequential LCN order of the operations, it may be that I can
> just pre-sort the delete operations by the file lcn number and
> get similar results.

I ran  rmd in the debugger to look at the order of entries being
returned from the depth first search.  The directory entry list
returned is sorted alphabetically  the same whether or not the
sortByName() defrag script has been executed.

This article confirms that directory entries are sorted
alphabetically.

"Directory entries are sorted alphabetically, which explains why
NTFS files are always printed alphabetically in directory
listings."

I'll have to write something to dump the starting lcn for each
directory entry and see if  the sortByName defrag is matching the
DirEntries list exactly.